Thursday, May 21, 2026

Federal Jury Orders Ye to Pay Over $430,000 in Copyright Lawsuit Over Uncleared Sample

Rapper and entrepreneur Ye, right, stands alongside former Adidas executive Eric Liedtke in front of a Yeezy promotional display. A federal jury in Los Angeles recently ordered Ye and his affiliated companies, including Yeezy LLC, to pay over $430,000 in damages following a copyright infringement trial over an uncleared song sample.
A federal jury has ordered the artist legally known as Ye to pay more than $430,000 in damages for using an uncleared sample during a massive stadium listening event in 2021.

The unanimous verdict, delivered last week in Los Angeles, concluded a copyright infringement lawsuit brought by a group of musicians including veteran hip-hop producer DJ Khalil (Khalil Abdul-Rahman), Sam Barsh, Dan Seeff and Josh Mease. The plaintiffs alleged that Ye, formerly Kanye West, unlawfully used their 2018 instrumental track "MSD PT2" as the backbone for an early, unreleased version of his Grammy-winning song "Hurricane."

During the six-day trial, the court heard that Ye played the uncleared version of "Hurricane" for 40,000 fans at a listening party for his 10th studio album, "Donda," at Atlanta's Mercedes-Benz Stadium in July 2021.

Plaintiffs' attorney Irene Lee successfully argued that the stadium event generated an estimated $5.5 million through ticket sales, merchandise and a streaming deal with Apple Music, rendering the unauthorized broadcast a commercial copyright violation.

"There was no deal, no agreement, no license, and no clearance," Lee told the jury during closing arguments.

The jury found Ye personally liable for $176,153, while his company Yeezy LLC was ordered to pay the exact same amount. Two of his affiliated companies, Yeezy Supply LLC and Ox Paha Inc., were additionally found liable for $41,625 and $44,627, respectively.

Ye testified in person during the trial, telling jurors that he believed his team had gone through standard industry procedures to clear the sample. The "MSD PT2" sample was ultimately removed and replaced with recreated elements before the final version of "Hurricane" — which featured The Weeknd and Lil Baby and later won a Grammy for Best Melodic Rap Performance — received its official commercial release.

Following the verdict, a spokesperson for Yeezy dismissed the outcome as a "failed shakedown," noting the plaintiffs had initially sought up to $30 million before the judge dismissed several of the more lucrative composition claims prior to trial.

"The moral of the story? There is a cost attached to thinking you can take advantage of Ye," the spokesperson said.

Britton Monts, a manager for Artist Revenue Advocates, the company that represented the four musicians in the lawsuit, celebrated the jury's decision.

"It's a victory for working artists, who typically lack the resources to go against someone like Ye, a megastar and celebrity," Monts said. "The underdogs got their day in court."

Rap Pioneer MC Lyte Officially Becomes ‘Dr. Moorer’ at Bennett College Ceremony

MC Lyte at the Essence Festival of Culture in July 2025. (Credit: Danielle G. Campbell / Wikimedia Commons)
Pioneer hip-hop artist and lyricist MC Lyte was awarded an honorary Doctor of Arts degree from Bennett College during the institution’s centennial commencement ceremony this past weekend.

The honor, presented Saturday on the campus quadrangle, arrives during a massive milestone spring for the artist. Born Lana Michele Moorer, the hip-hop trailblazer was also recently announced as an official 2026 inductee into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.


Moorer, who rose to prominence in the late 1980s and 1990s as the first solo female rapper to release a full-length studio album with 1988's "Lyte as a Rock," served as the keynote commencement speaker for the historic women's college. During her address to the Centennial Class of 2026, Moorer presented members of the graduating class with a special commemorative gift to mark the institution's 100th year as a women's college.

Interim President Dr. Teresa Hardee formally conferred the degree before a gathering of nearly 1,000 graduates, families, and alumnae.

"It was an honor to present this special recognition to someone whose voice has shaped culture and impacted generations," Hardee said during the ceremony. "MC Lyte's influence extends far beyond music. She is an entrepreneur, visionary, philanthropist, and advocate whose work continues to inspire people around the world. ... Today, she is not only a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee. She is also officially a Bennett Belle."


The academic accolade adds to a highly decorated legacy for Moorer, whose 1993 single "Ruffneck" secured the first gold certification for a solo female rap artist in music history.

Last month, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame announced its 2026 class, recognizing Moorer in the Early Influence category alongside Queen Latifah, Fela Kuti, and Celia Cruz. The formal induction ceremony is scheduled for Nov. 14 in Los Angeles.

In a recent interview reflecting on the Rock Hall honor, Moorer noted the cultural significance of the recognition and her enduring longevity in the industry.


"Starting from 16 years old rapping lyrics in a basement to now taking on one of the most esteemed acknowledgements, to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame — it feels surreal," she said. "It's humbling and serves as a reminder to keep moving in the direction of positivity and know that I am just the conduit. God is working through me to bring the very best of whatever it is he gives me as a creative vision. I just feel like I keep getting better."

Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Snoop Dogg’s Company Denies Responsibility In Drakeo the Ruler Backstage Killing

Drakeo the Ruler appears on the cover of his posthumous album “The Undisputed Truth.” Snoop Dogg’s LLC is seeking dismissal from a wrongful death lawsuit tied to Drakeo’s fatal stabbing at the 2021 “Once Upon a Time in L.A.” festival. (Cover art by Gallery Provence)
Snoop Dogg’s company is asking a Los Angeles judge to cut it loose from litigation over the fatal backstage stabbing of Drakeo the Ruler, arguing that its connection to the 2021 festival ended with Snoop Dogg being booked to perform.

In legal documents obtained by TMZ and reported Wednesday, Snoop Dogg’s LLC moved for summary judgment in a case brought by Drakeo’s brother, Devante Caldwell, and others, contending the company had no role in producing, managing or securing the "Once Upon a Time in L.A." festival.

Drakeo the Ruler, whose legal name was Darrell Caldwell, was stabbed in a backstage all-access area at Exposition Park on Dec. 18, 2021, shortly before he was scheduled to perform. Lawsuits stemming from the attack allege his entourage was overwhelmed by a large group after security failures allowed unauthorized people into a restricted area.

Caldwell, known for a distinctly original, whisper-like flow often described as "nervous music," was a towering figure in the modern Los Angeles underground scene. He was widely respected for his relentless creative drive, most notably recording his critically acclaimed 2020 mixtape, "Thank You for Using GTL," over a jail phone line while awaiting trial at Men’s Central Jail. He had been acquitted of murder and attempted murder charges, but remained jailed as prosecutors pursued additional charges. He later pleaded to conspiracy charges and was released in November 2020.

In early 2022, separate civil actions were filed by relatives and representatives connected to Caldwell, including his brother Devante Caldwell, his mother, Darrylene Corniel, and his son through guardian ad litem Tianna Purtue. The lawsuits targeted primary promoter Live Nation, C3 Presents, Bobby Dee Presents, Snoop Dogg’s LLC, venue-related entities and security companies, accusing organizers of failing to provide adequate security despite alleged foreseeable risks.

One complaint stated that "Drakeo and his group fought for their lives against insurmountable odds, shocked and horrified at the fact that no security ever materialized to intervene."

According to the new legal documents obtained by TMZ, Snoop Dogg’s LLC argues it had no involvement in festival operations and cannot be held liable. The filing states the company never signed a lease or license agreement, held no ownership or leasehold interest in Exposition Park and was not responsible for hiring or managing the event’s security detail.

The documents further state that no one from Snoop Dogg’s company witnessed or participated in Caldwell’s death, nor did they have any relationship with the assailants. After the tragedy in 2021, Snoop Dogg released a statement expressing condolences and saying he was in his dressing room when he was informed of the incident. He said he chose to leave the festival grounds and closed with, "IM PRAYING FOR PEACE IN HIP HOP."

The latest move by Snoop Dogg’s LLC follows a wave of successful dismissals for other defendants. Earlier this month, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge James Montgomery granted summary judgments removing the Los Angeles Football Club and Bobby Dee Presents from the case. The festival was held at what was then Banc of California Stadium, now BMO Stadium, in Exposition Park.

Bobby Dee Presents served as the booking agent for Snoop Dogg, one of the festival’s marquee headliners. In court papers, lawyers for the company wrote that it did not organize or produce the festival, did not hire security, did not establish or implement the security plan and did not own the land where the concert was held.

Montgomery agreed, finding that the plaintiffs had not shown that the booking company or stadium-related defendants violated an obligation to protect Caldwell.

While the roster of defendants continues to narrow, the core accusations regarding crowd control and festival safety remain directed at the remaining defendants, including Live Nation. A final status conference is scheduled for Sept. 8.

Slider[Style1]

Trending